Whats Hot? Books.

The Hunger Games.

Article first published as Book Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins on Blogcritics.


The Hunger Games is genuinely one of the best books I have ever read. I literally could not put it down once I started reading it; there was just too much suspense and surprise from the onset. There are so many things about this book that just shouldn’t work, but somehow they do. 

Initially I thought that this was an action book but as the story progressed it started to turn into a romance novel. I was also under the impression that the story was set in a time or place completely different to our world now but I soon realised that in fact it was set in modern times complete with television sets and advanced science technology. There is such a juxtaposition of the world where the main character Katniss lives and ‘The Capitol’ where the rich people live. There should be an awful clash as Collins tries to mix two very different sorts of environments together but in fact there is an explosion of brilliant literature. 

Katniss’ world reminds me of one similar to Robin Hood’s, where people hunt with arrows and kept under strict control by the Capitol. However the Capitol seems very much like the centre of a busy city, like London, with stylists and televisions and posh hotel suites. Suzanne Collins has created a twist on the popular reality TV show ‘Big Brother’ where contestants are placed inside a locked arena. The difference is twenty-four contestants go in, but only one can make it out alive. There is so much attention to detail and each and every one of the main characters are explained in full, details which many other authors would have skimmed over. What makes this book really interesting for the reader is that Collins seems to include us in it. The ‘Hunger Games’ are broadcast on screens everywhere for the general public to see and we feel like we are the ones at home watching it and cheering on for different players. 

Katniss is a brilliant character as she is very aware of what the audience wants to see and makes sure that she gives it to them (and us). This is one of the most sophisticated and engaging novels I have ever read and I am sure that it will appeal to people of all ages, not just teenagers. The suspense is continuous throughout the book, right until the very end, and it leaves the reader wanting to know more about Katniss and her story. There is even the suggestion of a love triangle between her and two other characters. 

The reader assumes that at the end of The Hunger Games the worst is over for our protagonist but in actual fact it may be just beginning. Katniss has done something that no one else has ever dared to do, and has made the Capitol look like fools. This book definitely leaves you begging for more and excited for the next two books that make up this trilogy.

Share this:

, , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

4 comments:

  1. WOW THE BOOK SOUNDS GOOD! AND I'M ALSO FEELING YOUR BLOG. UHM I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA AND JUST STARTED MY OWN BLOG ABOUT FASHION MUSIC BOOKS ECT YOU SHOULD TOTALLY FOLLOW ME I'D LOVE SOME FEDBACK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeahh i thought it was really good :) you should check it out!
    thanks :) ohmyygod i really wanna go to california :O
    checked out your blog :) its looking greatt and now im following, yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog!
    I'll check the book out! :)

    Please visit my fashion blog <3
    Hope you follow ;)
    Comments would be awesome, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously like your blog! It's really original!
    I definitely will be checking out What's Hot?, cause now I'm a follower!

    I'd appretiate it if you'd check out my blog @ http://www.daydreamingblogger.blogspot.com.

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave your thoughts here and I'll get back to you :)