BOOK REVIEW: Arson by Estevan Vega.



Title: Arson
Author: Estevan Vega
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal
Publisher: Stonehouse Ink
Book Description: ARSON is the first book in a Young Adult Paranormal series. Book two, ASHES, is also available now. 

ARSON GABLE FEELS LIKE A FREAK. HE CAN CREATE FIRE. HE NEVER ASKED FOR IT. HE NEVER WANTED IT. BUT HE CAN'T SHUT IT OFF.

Before now, three things were true: he both loved and despised his grandmother; his life was going nowhere; and he was alone. But when a strange girl--who feels more normal behind a mask than inside her own skin--moves in next door, Arson hopes to find something he's never had: purpose. After years of living in fear, he will be forced to confront his haunting past and embrace the unknown as he walks the fine line between boy and monster. Edgy, realistic, and breathtaking, Arson, the chilling chronicle of an isolated teenager with unimaginable ability, is set to ignite the hearts and minds of a new generation.

{ Review }

I was immediately drawn to Arson by its captivating cover. I was just mesmerised by the perfect blue eyes and the hand of fire and I just had to find out more about this book.

This book really took me by surprise and it was not at all what I was expecting. Just a few chapters in and already I was hooked onto the story and desperate to find out more. The story was a lot deeper than I had imagined that it would be and the storyline with Arson's grandmother whose emotions change from sour to sweet quicker than you can flick a light switch had me captured.

I loved how the plot really held back at the beginning and we weren't thrust into the main story. The story is set in the present and not a lot is dwelt on Arson's curious past, though there are many references it. This suspense kept me on my toes and I just kept reading. About a quarter of the way through the book and the 'plot' still hadn't really started, but I was by no means bored or impatient.

You really get know and love the main characters Arson and Emery. Both lead such difficult and unique lives facing so many struggles, but they are strong and they are special. I pitied both of the characters for the unfairness of their lives and I won't say more in case I give something away.

I suppose this book could also come under the 'coming-of-age' genre because it deals with a lot of teen issues. Even though this book is for young adults, I see no reason why adults shouldn't enjoy it too as it isn't your average young adult book, nor is it silly like a lot of YA books. This book is brilliantly written with such detail and precision in such a way that all seems real.

This is a different sort of paranormal book because the paranormal element is special powers as opposed to vampires and werewolves. This element reminded me slightly of 'I Am Number Four' by Pittacus Lore, so I'd recommend this book to fans of that author.

Check out where the Arson tour is going next! Click here.

Share this:

, , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is AWESOME. I'm following and I look forward to seeing more posts! Would you mind checking out the story I'm writing on my blog; Escaping Jackie, I'd appreciate it very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy, Laura! Stoked that you're a part of the tour! I am glad you enjoyed the story!


    Stay fly, madame!


    Estevan Vega

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave your thoughts here and I'll get back to you :)