Whats Hot? DVDs.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.


So the last time I watched this movie was when it was first released in cinemas which is quite a while ago, but it clearly didn't make much of an impression on me as I'm struggling to remember exactly what happened. In fact, I'm not even remembering what 'The Dawn Treader' was, though now I'm sure it's the name of the ship. The Narnia films have gone downhill since the original (The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe) was released, that is in plotline, commercially these films still do very well. The second film, Prince Caspian, was still a decent film, but nothing compared to The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and unfortunately, The Dawn Treader is even worse. This film was produced by 20th Century Fox, instead of Disney, and perhaps the fall in revenue of the series is to blame for that. Now writing this post would be considered blasphemy in my school as we worship Anna Popplewell, who plays Susan, an ex-pupil, but since neither she nor William Moseley feature much at all in this movie, I think I'll get away with it.

This film focuses on the two younger Pevensie children, Lucy and Edmund, as well as a new additon: their cousin Eustace (played by Will Poulter). Will Poulter. He's probably the best thing about this movie as he is undoubtedly one of the best child actors today. He plays the role of annoying cousin Eustace so well, that I genuinely wanted to kick him for the majority of the movie (it's a good thing, don't worry). Something really  puzzling about this movie is Prince Caspian. Now if i remember correctly, in the second film, he had a distinctly (sexy!) Spanish accent. WHERE DID IT GO? It is a mystery.

Unfortunately, I haven't read the book so I can't tell you whether or not the story sticks to the plotline or not, but if the books anything like the movie, I'm not going to bother. Don't get me wrong, there were some very good aspects to this movie, that were entertaining and emotional; however, there are others which leave much to be desired. Personally, I wouldn't watch it again, but since it was so commericially popular, and did receive some very good reviews, I guess this one's up to you.


Share this:

, , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. I was EXTREMELY disappointed in this movie since the book is my second favourite Narnia book (after Lion, Witch...). They got some things right (the casting, acting, production values), but completely screwed up the story! Changed waaaaay too many things from the book, and added in quite a few unecessary elements. DAMN THEM!!!

    Nevertheless, if they get a chance to do "The Silver Chair", then I'll be there.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave your thoughts here and I'll get back to you :)