What's Hot? Korean Dramas.

You're Beautiful.

Title: You're Beautiful/미남이시네요
Director: Hong Sung Chang
Starring: Jang Keun-suk, Park Shin-hye, Lee Hongki, Jung Yong-hwa
Plot: The management company of the idol group A.N.JELL insisted on adding a new singer to the group as the lead vocal, Tae Kyung's voice was hurting. However,the new member, Mi Nam, had to go to the States to repair a botched eye job just before signing the contract. His agent came up with the idea of having his twin sister, Mi Nyu,to stand in for him and pretend that she was her brother. The two of them grew up in an orphanage and Mi Nyu, who was all set to become a nun, agreed to this charade as she didn't want to spoil her brother's chance of fame which would make it easier to look for their mother...
(There is a better synopsis on wikipedia but it contains a few spoilers so go check it out if you're still not convinced.)

{ Review } 

You're Beautiful is undoubtedly the best Korean drama that I have ever watched. I've been feeling a bit frustrated lately because I haven't been able to find a really good oriental drama that I've loved every second of, but finally I have. I've seen You're Beautiful at the top of just about every 'Best Korean Drama' list, but for some reason it just really didn't appeal to me. Whilst I like dramas where there's some sort of massive secret that creates loads of drama, I am a bit on the fence about dramas where girls pretend to be guys because it means that it's a completely different sort of romance. It bothers me a bit when the characters pretend to be characters of the other sex or pretend to be gay because it means that the main couple can never properly be together without blowing their cover; however, after watching You're Beautiful, I think that this may in fact be my favourite kind.

I lost count of the number of times that I cried during this series, but I know that it was an embarrassingly high number. I know that if I cry during a drama or feel butterflies in my stomach that it's a damn good drama so on that basis, You're Beautiful is out-of-this-world amazing! I watched the entire series in three days, rather slow for me considering there are only 16 episodes, but during those three days the only thing that I could think about was You're Beautiful. On the second day of watching this I went to my friends house for dinner and then she invited me for an impromtu sleepover and my first though was 'Nooo, that means no more You're Beautiful until tomorrow!' - Yes, I am incredibly sad like that, but it also shows how addictive it is. This drama is both laugh-out-loud funny and sobbing-into-your-pillow sad. In just one episode I found myself weeing with laughter, then bawling my eyes out, then doing a happy dance on my bed - seriously, you'll go on such an emotional roller coaster whilst watching this drama.


I loved all of the characters, especially Hwang Tae Kyung! I just don't know how it's possible for someone to be so mean, caring, sexy, emotionless, beautiful, cute, hard working and self-centered all at once. Jang Geun Suk is a phenomenal actor and I really commend him for pulling off each and every one of those emotions convincingly. Usually I become quite attached to one character during a drama but I liked all four of the main characters in You're Beautiful. I was mainly obsessed with Hwang Tae Kyung, but I was also really interested in the other two guys and near the beginning I even questioned which one I wanted to end up with the girl, which was a definite first for me. I saw Park Shin Hye and Jung Yong Hwa in Heartstrings and whilst I really liked them both in it, I didn't think that either of them gave particularly outstanding performances so I was happy that their performances in You're Beautiful were a lot better. The quality of acting usually slips up a few times during each drama that I watch, but amazingly, there were none in You're Beautiful. Each actor played his or her role brilliantly and even when they were doing silly things, it wasn't ridiculously silly, it was funny-silly and there is a very fine line between the two.


I'm always amazed at how Korean guys seem to be able to wear really fashionable items that would be considered the gayest things ever in the West but still make it look acceptable. Watching K dramas has completely changed my perspective on what does and doesn't look good on a guy. Heck, I've even become accustomed to guyliner. The three main guys in this drama are all incredibly hot and if you don't fall for all three of them then there's probably something wrong with you. As they all play celebrities in this drama they're all cool and suave but they've also got really individual personalities to them and they all bring something different to the drama.


The plot line isn't very realistic at all but because the acting was so convincing and the general atmosphere of the drama was so good, somehow it all made sense to me. This is similar to the film 'She's the Man', where a girl takes her twin brother's place at boarding school to cover up for him so if you're a fan of that then I'd definitely recommend this. It's also quite similar to the drama Hana Kimi which also has a girl pretending to be a boy in it, except this is so much better. This drama wasn't rushed at all, it really took it's time for the plot to unfold and that made me absolutely desperate to reach the finish. A lot of dramas pace the story all wrong and there's either too much at the beginning or at the end, but this was just right. The romance develops really slowly, at least from the guys POV, which made it so much more interesting because it meant that with every episode you got just a little bit closer and you had to keep watching to find out more. All romantic oriental dramas are predictable because the outcome is always a happy ending, but I couldn't predict the events leading up to the finale which was great. Another pet peeve of mine about oriental dramas is that they lay everything out in the beginning so that you can see exactly where each and every character is headed leaving no room for speculation so I was really happy that this didn't do that. I knew what the end of this drama was going to be, but I had no idea how it was going to happen and it was all done in a really interesting way that drew you in to every second of drama.

The soundtrack for this is great. The songs perfectly match the mood of this drama and they're really addictive. As this drama centres around a band it means that the songs are actually sung by the characters in the drama which makes it all sound more heartfelt. It also gives lots of opportunities for songs and serenading throughout the series which is brilliant!


I definitely got way to emotionally involved in You're Beautiful, but I know a drama is frickin' incredible when it draws me in as much as this one did. I am still obsessing over Jang Geun Suk and listening to the OST on replay and probably will be for quite a long while yet because they're just so amazing! I would highly recommend You're Beautiful for any fans of Korean dramas and this is definitely the best K drama that I have ever seen.

If I still haven't convinced you then have a look at the trailer below! 

Share this:

, , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Leave your thoughts here and I'll get back to you :)