Whats Hot? Movies.

Something Borrowed.


So I've come to the conclusion that almost all rom-coms receive critical reviews, because let's face it, they're not made for their cinematic brilliance, they're aimed at those who are feeling a bit hopeless in love and need a pick-me-up, something to tell them that the right guy is out there, somewhere. The reviews are written by harsh critics who have seen the best of the best and know exactly what to look out for in a brilliant film, but who says rom-coms aren't brilliant? They are highly entertaining even if they lack credibility, though most people won't admit that they actually enjoy these movies.

Anyways, I enjoyed Something Borrowed. There are tear-jerking moments, comic moments and moments of incredulity, the basis for all rom-coms. However, what puzzled (and slightly annoyed) me about this movie was that some of the things the characters did were simply immoral and would probably be deemed unforgive
able in the real world. In what world is it okay to take your best friends fiancee? I guess as the story goes on it becomes more acceptable as we learn of the reasonings behind each character and the secrets that they're witholding from each other. If you ignore the fact that there are serious issues of morality it is still a comical, but highly predictable, entertaining way to spend an hour and three quarters.

Some aspects of the story are very preditctable and you can see them coming before the opening credits are even on the screen, but there are other parts of the story that are unexpected and you have to wait until the end to find out how everybody's lives pan out. I guess in this way it keeps the viewer interesting and ensures they carry on watching. Whilst many new relationships are formed, many are also destroyed, and it bothers me that one that had been consistent through out did not really draw to a particularly happy close.

Despite its numerous faults I still thought that Something Borrowed did the rom-com genre proud and filled its role perfectly. For anyone desperate for proof that true love does exist, then I guess this is movie for you!

In cinemas now.

Share this:

, , , , ,

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. I was on the fence about this movie. My gf wanted to see it but I was skeptical after hearing a lot of negative reviews. We'll probably give it a chance now. Nice blog btw.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave your thoughts here and I'll get back to you :)