Whats Hot? Books.

Darkness becomes her by Kelly Keaton.


Article first published as Book Review: Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton on Blogcritics.

I have literally devoured this book in the past two hours. I was recently sent this book to read and review and I decided that I would not read it until after the impending doom of this week's IGCSE exams; however, I got bored of revising and so I began to read 'Darkness Becomes Her'. This was a big mistake. Not because the book isn't good, because it is, but because after: 'just the first chapter', I literally could not put it down.

It is a very fast paced novel so I was turning page after page like nobody's business and the thrilling plot kept me going the entire way through. I did not know what to expect from this book, clearly it had something to do with the paranormal but other than that I was clueless. I was actually quite suprised by what I found. I thought that this book was just another author trying to feed off the success of the twilight phenomenon, but boy was I wrong. Of course, there are vampires in this book, but they're more like extras rather than something which actually contributes to the story. There is literally every kind of supernatural being in this book. It ranges from vampires to witches to shapeshifters, and what really suprised me: Greek Gods. The way that Keaton incorporates bits of Greek mythology into this novel is a bit odd at first, but when you get used to it is a superb addition to the plot. If you're a fan of the supernatural then this is definitely a book for you.

What is also interesting about this book, is that it is set in the future, in New Orleans after a series of great hurricanes that destroyed the city. The rest of the plot stems from there and it is truly intriguing as a paranormal story is placed in such a familiar setting that all the readers should know of.

There are quite a lot of unexpected twists and turns in this book, if you really analyse the plot you could probably guess how certain characters fit into the mix, but I'd say that this would be a book full of suspense for the average reader.

I don't want to give away any of the plot, but this is truly a great read and I highly recommend the first in what is sure to be a great new series! Follow Ari, a confused and curious teenage girl, and her new band of paranormal misfits as they try to uncover the secrets of her past and how to progress into the future.

Share this:

, , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

2 comments:

  1. you can definitely get a person to read a book :)
    *runs to the bookstore*

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this book sounds amazing!and hey,what I’m new to blogging and so I have no followers, i just want to tell ppl about my blog and then if they check my blog out I’ll do the same for them, so here it is.
    justasmalltowngirl-teenscene.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave your thoughts here and I'll get back to you :)