What's Hot? Books.

The Dragonfly Prophecy by Jacquelyn Castle.





I wasn't really sure what to make of The Dragonfly Prophecy when it first landed on my doorstep as I had never heard of this novel before, nor did I have any preconceptions. When I first saw it, I thought this book was all about dragonflies. It is not. Whether or not this is a good thing or bad thing is for you to decide, but, I repeat, The Dragonfly Prophecy is not about dragonflies. It is; however, about 17 year old Lexi Blane who seems to be living the perfect life. She has a boyfriend who adores her and parents who’d do anything for her, but there’s just one problem – Lexi has sudden and inexplicable fainting spells. In addition, she has odd dreams when she’s unconscious, or maybe reality is actually just a dream and the dreams are reality. Lexi’s life is turned upside down as she is suddenly thrust into a war between two worlds, reality and the alternative reality, but first she needs to figure out what’s real and what’s just a dream, who she can and cannot trust, and most importantly - which side she’s on. Two guys, from different worlds, are fighting for her affections and whilst she’s in love with both, she knows she has to make a choice; however, one of them is lying to her – but which one is it? Lexi’s life quickly spirals out of control as she finds out she is, in fact, ‘gifted’ with special abilities and with these abilities comes a long list of responsibilities. She soon realises that there may be other forces at work in her life, was it fate that she survived the fatal car accident that killed her parents?

Lexi’s list of questions gets longer and longer as the story goes on and all is revealed in a dramatic finale. I’m quite happy to say that I actually could not predict the ending to this novel and that is what drove me to continue reading. Teenage fiction can be very repetitive these days with story after story being published when really the plot lines are all the same, but The Dragonfly Prophecy is truly unique.

The book is narrated from the point of view of Lexi herself and so we are really immersed in the story and feel like we are living life through Lexi’s eyes. I think that the character of Lexi is absolutely spot on and she feels acts and speaks exactly like a 17 year old teenage girl would. For this reason, I’d say that The Dragonfly Prophecy will probably appeal more to girls than boys. Lexi’s character is continuously developing throughout the book and so is the plot and this keeps the story fresh and interesting throughout. There is a sense of mystery and suspense surrounding both William and Chace – the two love interests – and the reader is left completely in the dark as to their true intentions right until the very end. There are lots of twists and turns in this novel that I wasn’t expecting even though I knew to look out for them!

My only criticism of this book is that I did not see the relevance of the title for a very long while and even after I had understood the connection between the title and the content I did not feel that this was the most appropriate title. Both the blurb and the title suggest that this book is all about dragonflies, when in fact it is not. Personally, I don’t believe the symbol of the dragonfly plays a big enough role to justify the title of the novel.

I’d definitely think that this novel has been overlooked and should be given a lot more credit. It is a brilliant and unique story that had me gripped from the beginning to the end and I simply could not put it down. I’d definitely recommend this book to fans of ‘I Am Number Four’, as there are similarities between the ‘gifted’ ones and the people of Lorien; however, the story lines are still completely different. 

Share this:

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. I'll pick it up at the library this week.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave your thoughts here and I'll get back to you :)